Best Laptops for Traveling with Tech
If there’s one thing you don’t want to leave home when traveling it’s your laptop.
This single device holds the key to your entertainment, organizational, and personal needs, so finding one that’s travel-friendly is the key to doing it right.
What are the best laptops for traveling with?
The best laptop for traveling with is one that’s compact-sized, lightweight, and with enough space and the right specifications to suit your needs.
Whether you’re using it for programming or watching movies, there are lots of features to consider.
With access to a reliable and efficient laptop on your journey, you’ll never miss another deadline or be without streaming access to your favorite show.
If you plan on traveling with tech and need a portable-sized laptop to bring along, we’ve rounded up some of the best worth considering.
What are the Top Laptops for Traveling?
A trusty laptop by your side is the ultimate traveling companion, whether you’re looking for something small and fun or a high spec machine for working on the go.
We’ve selected some of our favorite picks that meet every category, so check out what the best of the best have to offer.
1. Best Overall: Dell Latitude 7000
The Dell Latitude 7000 is a travel sized laptop that operates with Microsoft Windows 10 Pro and runs with an Intel Core 8th Generation i5-8350U Processor.
The 3.11lbs laptop features a 14-inch screen for watching HD movies or working on, and a 512GB solid state drive and DDR4 memory system.
As a refurbished product, it’s a lot more affordable, but is still covered with a three year warranty and comes with all of the standard accessories.
The Dell Latitude 7000 Laptop is our favorite find for traveling because it’s simple, affordable, and has everything you need to work and play on.
With a 14 inch screen and 1920 x 1080 resolution, you can do just about anything on it, and it features an HD camera and microphone plus WiFi connectivity so you can keep in touch with people at home.
This is a compact-size laptop that’s the perfect size for traveling, and it weighs a little over 3lbs with dimensions of 0.7 x 13.03 x 8.7 inches.
With 8GB of space, 6MB cache, and an Intel Core 8th Generation i5-835OU Processor, you’ll want for nothing more, and as it runs on the Windows 10 Pro operating system, everything is modern and easily accessible.
This Dell Latitude 7000 Laptop is a certified refurbished product, so you’ll get a three year warranty from Amazon and it includes all of the standard accessories.
This laptop features USB slots, a headphone jack, and memory card readers, and is just a fraction of the price of a brand new machine.
With everything you need to keep in touch and work or play on the go, the Latitude 7000 is one of the best laptops for traveling abroad budget conscious users.
- Screen Size: 14.0 inches
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows
- Weight: 3.11lbs
- The screen is a good size for watching movies without missing any of the action and will fit comfortably on a tray table of a plane.
- It’s a much cheaper alternative than the newer computers on the market and does all of the same things.
- It’s lightweight and easy to carry, whether it’s in your hand or as part of your carry on luggage.
- There’s plenty of space for photos and videos on the laptop or you can connect with the various ports and slots.
• Dell is one of the most trusted names in PCs and laptops and you’re guaranteed a good quality machine with the Latitude 7000.
- As a refurbished product, some people might prefer owning something brand new, even if this does have a lengthy warranty period.
- This isn’t the latest and greatest computer and some things like high performance gaming won’t be possible to do.
Runner Up: Apple MacBook Pro 2020
Apple’s 2020 MacBook Pro is a great traveling companion with a 13.3 Retina display, 3lb weight, and slim profile dimensions of 13.41 x 11.97 x 0.61 inches.
This laptop runs with macOS, has an 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine, plus the ability to game, watch and listen to media, video chat with others, and perform basic processing tasks.
The Apple MacBook Pro 2020 model is another of our top picks for a traveling laptop, thanks to its slim profile and decent 13.3-inch display.
The MacBook runs with an 8-core GPU for basic gaming, watching movies, working, and connecting with others, as well as a 16-core Neural Engine for advanced learning from the laptop itself.
The FaceTime HD camera is of exceptional quality and makes it easy to stay connected with friends and family plus there’s a built in microphone and standard headphone jack.
The powerful GPU that gives you faster graphics and performance, so whatever you’re doing with your MacBook it’ll be efficient.
Although it’s fast, it’s not the best machine for high powered gaming, so would be better left for simple titles.
The MacBook Pro 2020 measures 13.41 x 11.97 x 0.61 inches so it’s slimline, and it’s got an active cooling system that means you can use it for hours in awkward positions without a fuss.
You can also spend up to 20 hours using your MacBook on the flight without needing to recharge it, thanks to the competent lithium polymer batteries included.
If you don’t mind paying more for the brand name Apple and want a light but high performance travel companion, the MacBook Pro is one of the best.
- Screen Size: 13.3 inches
- Operating System: macOS
- Weight: 3lbs
- The battery life on this will last for the entire length of most international flights without ever needing a charge.
- The MacBook is fast and efficient and there’s a minimal wait time for loading programs and other applications.
- Although a little heavier than their Air machines, this Apple laptop is slimline and slides easily into most carry-on luggage compartments.
- The Retina display screen makes movie viewing extra crisp which is a nice treat when you’re on a long flight.
- This device is incredibly cool compared to other laptops and can easily sit on your lap for hours without any issues, which is perfect for the airport or plane.
- Apple doesn’t have the best history for making gaming computers that are high performance, so their M1 chip is better left for everyday tasks and simple games.
- These devices are expensive when compared to a similar sized laptop and you’re paying a lot more for brand recognition.
Alternative 1: Dell G3 Gaming Laptop
For gaming on the go, the Dell G3 Gaming Laptop has everything you need.
With a decent 15 inch screen, slim profile 22.7 inch width, and long range 802.11ac WiFI, you can game online and offline while being fully immersed.
The NVIDIA GeForce 1050 is an advanced GPU that makes gaming efficient and high performance on this laptop, and it runs with 8th Gen Intel quad core processors so it’s as responsive as needed.
The Dell G3 Gaming Laptop is for those who can’t be away from their favorite hobby, and it’s the ultimate portable gaming rig.
With a stellar 15 inch display, wide viewing angle, and FHD anti-glare features, your games will look just as good as they do at home.
However, if you don’t need a gaming specific laptop, you may find it a little bulky at close to 6lbs and measurements of 0.89 x 14.96 x 10.16 inches.
The gaming features are what sets the G3 apart though, with the NVIDIA GeForce 1060 GPU being one of the latest and greatest for laptops.
You can stay connected with more consistency thanks to the long range WiFi and .11ac routers, so wherever there’s the internet, you’ll be able to get online with ease.
However, the backlight on the keyboard wasn’t as bright as we’d hoped and didn’t help with accessibility.
Even if you don’t like the game, this is also one of the best laptops for traveling programmers and other CPU heavy tasks, and has a powerful 8th Gen Intel quad core processor.
The Dell G3 runs on Windows 10, has a multitude of connectivity options like USB 3.1, HDMI 2.0, and SD/MicroMedia card, giving you plenty of choices for how to use it on your travels.
- Screen Size: 15 inches
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Weight: 5.57lbs
- One of the highest powered GPUs available in a laptop this size so you won’t miss a beat while you play your favorite titles.
- The display is crystal clear and with no signs of lagging or dullness, which means movies and other media are even more enjoyable.
- Dell covers their laptops with support and warranties which is good for your peace of mind.
- Although it’s heavier and larger in size, the slim profile doesn’t make it feel too dominating when you’re playing.
- Battery life will last up to four hours with solid gaming which is good for a setup like this.
- This is a hefty laptop when you put it side by side with others we’ve reviewed and some might find it too bulky to use comfortably in tight quarters.
- As a gaming laptop, it’s more expensive than a regular one, so unless you plan on playing high performance games, there are cheaper alternatives.
- The backlight on the keyboard isn’t as impressive as claimed and it won’t help in dark spaces.
Alternative 2: Lenovo IdeaPad 1
Lenovo’s IdeaPad is a simple alternative to everyday laptops and a great choice for traveling thanks to its 3lbs weight, 14 inch HD display panel, and slim profile.
The laptop measures 12.88 x 9.25 x 0.7 inches and operates with Windows 10, and is powered up by an Intel Celeron N4020 processor and features 4GB DDR4 RAM onboard.
If you want something cheap and simple to take on your next trip, the Lenovo IdeaPad 1 will have everything you’re looking for.
This compact laptop weighs 3.09lbs and slides easily into a suitcase or carry on luggage with less than an inch of thickness, but has enough power to let you watch videos, catch up on work, and chat with friends with a low resolution built-in camera.
Everything about this laptop is simple, including its Windows 10 operating system, and Intel Celeron N4020 processor.
The 14 inch HD display panel looks larger than life because of the narrow bezels and it features Dolby Audio through its dual stereo speakers, or you can connect your favorite headphones and watch a movie in private.
You get one year free of Microsoft 365 which comes with all of the apps and programs you need, and it’s covered by a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty which is standard for a machine at this price.
Internet connectivity is a dream with the Lenovo IdeaPad 1 thanks to the WiFi 802.11ac built in, and it also offers Bluetooth 4.1.
Other connectivity features include two USB 3.1 ports, a MicroSD Card Reader, and HDMI port, just to name a few.
For a simple and compact traveling laptop, the Lenovo ticks all of the basic boxes.
- Screen Size: 14.0 inches
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Weight: 3.09lbs
- The IdeaPad is one of the cheapest laptops around and proves you don’t have to spend close to a thousand dollars just to get something efficient for travel.
- An incredibly light laptop at just over 3lbs so anyone can carry it without being weighed down.
- This laptop is great for Wi-Fi connectivity and can reach a longer range and keep a steady signal so you never miss a beat.
- You get more of the screen thanks to the smaller bezels so you’re able to use its entire width and length for viewing.
- Even for absolute beginners, this laptop is easy to use and everything is laid out as simply as possible.
- This isn’t a high-performance machine by any stretch of the imagination and won’t work for gaming.
- The eight hours of battery life when you’re using it for basic tasks isn’t that impressive when you see what the competition is capable of.
- The included camera is pretty basic and low resolution so if you want HD video chats you’ll need to upgrade.
Alternative 3: HP Stream 14
The HP Stream 14 is a slimline laptop with a 14 inch diagonal HD display, 4GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, and 64GB of storage.
Although pink and small, it’s powered by an Intel Celeron N4000 so you can watch movies, connect with friends online, and work and study.
The operating system is Windows 10 Home and it comes with a one year subscription to Office 365 for all of your basic computing needs.
The HP Stream is a 14 inch laptop designed for travel and portability and runs on an Intel Celeron N4000 GPU to give you everything you need.
As far as connectivity goes, you’ll get an HDMI, USB 2.0, Bluetooth 4.2, and 802.11 ac WiFi to utilize, so you’ll never drop offline unexpectedly and it gives you a longer range than most so you can access a signal from anywhere
This is a pink laptop, which might be a good or bad thing, depending on your taste, but there’s no denying that its size is ideal for traveling.
With an overall weight of 3.17lbs and dimensions of 13.27 x 0.70 x 8.9 inches, it’ll be barely noticeable to bring and it can fit into most compartments of carry-on luggage.
As far as costs go, it’s affordable without being too flimsy or basic, and all that you need if you only want to watch movies and do some basic word processing.
Included in the laptop are a quality HP Webcam and integrated digital microphone which makes its quality of video and audio chat a lot higher than others in this price range.
You’ll get access to a year of Microsoft Office 365 which has all of the basic programs and apps, and you can watch crystal clear movies with the integrated UHD Graphics 600 GPU and diagonal HD BrightView backlit display.
- Screen Size: 14.0 inches
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home
- Weight: 3.17lbs
- This is an affordable travel laptop if you don’t want to spend too much just for something to watch movies on or type emails with.
- You’ll get a one year warranty on this computer which is good for the price, and access to ongoing support from HP.
- The HD display is noticeable when watching movies and is much clearer and brighter than other laptops of this caliber.
- The integrated WiFi connectivity means you can get a strong signal from further away which is ideal when you’re waiting around at the airport.
- An included 12 month subscription to Microsoft 365 saves you more money and gives you access to the basic programs a laptop should have.
- The glossy pink finish is a turn-off for many people, but you could invest in a case and hide the color if you want to.
- Performance-wise, this won’t be ideal for any high powered gaming so don’t expect it to be up there with the competition.
- Some of the connectivity options are a little dated and there are no USB3.0 ports to utilize, with 2.1 being the most advanced.
Laptops For Traveling FAQs
Whether you need good laptops for traveling Amazon jungles or a bustling cityscape, there is a huge array to choose from.
To help you narrow them down and select the computer you really need, we’ve answered some commonly asked questions that’ll give you a push in the right direction.
How Do I Choose a Travel Laptop?
The best place to start when choosing a travel laptop is to think about what you’ll be using it for, and let that guide you towards the right model and specifications.
A travel laptop is usually compact and lightweight so it can be carried on the plane without taking up too much space, but the other features will depend on whether you want to use it for gaming, watching movies, working, or something else.
Do I Need A Laptop for Travel?
It’s not a necessity to have a laptop for traveling with but it can alleviate boredom and allow you to work or study when you’ve got spare time.
If you do plan on traveling with a laptop, ensure it meets the size requirements to fit in your carry on luggage and that you have a protective case or bag for it.
Can You Travel Internationally with A Laptop?
You are able to bring your laptop with you on an international flight, but you should also confirm with the airline what is allowed and how they require their guests to carry computers like this.
Laptops and other electronics usually remain with you as part of your carry on luggage to prevent damage being done to them or parts from being lost.
Can I Bring My Laptop Charger On A Plane?
Yes, a laptop charger should be kept with you in your carry on luggage at all times.
Many of the top backpacks for traveling laptops have a built-in USB charger and space for laptop cords so you can leave everything inside without worrying about them being stolen.